Australia’s largest Not-For-Profit worker Owned cooperative!
Resource Work Cooperative is a self-funding worker’s cooperative based in Hobart, Tasmania. Founded in 1993, we employ 38 local Tasmanians who democratically run our social enterprise. We can supply materials for your next renovation or art project, pick up your reusable goods for free or even sustainably deconstruct entire buildings!
We have three main objectives that drive our work:
- To create employment
- To minimise waste
- To promote waste minimisation in the community
We operate a host of resource management and landfill reduction initiatives including:
- South Hobart Tip Shop stocked with salvage from landfill and donations from the public
- Education Program
- Ewaste Recycling Onsite
- Free Community Pick Up Service
- Urban Salvage Service
- Arts Parts Art supply shop – open the 1st & 3rd Saturday of each month in our Education Centre
- Creative and Practical Re-Use Workshops
- Tip Shop Tours
- Annual Art From Trash Exhibition at the Long Gallery, Salamanca
We also support many local community groups and deliver programs throughout the broader community.
Where does our income go?
- Employment expenses (85% of income)
- Truck and Forklift maintenance
- Art From Trash Exhibition
- Charity – we make annual donations to a number of organisations
Resource is self-governed and self-funded. This means that the business belongs to the people who you see working at the Tip Shop and giving school workshops. Our workers also volunteer their spare time to attend monthly general meetings where they decide the running of the cooperative. We practice consensus decision making.
Resource is committed to all-gender inclusivity in our shop and workplace. We welcome diversity and any feedback for improvements.
Resource Work Cooperative acknowledges that the Muwinina people of the South East Aboriginal nation are the traditional and original owners of this land. We pay our respects to today’s traditional owners, the Tasmanian Aboriginal Community, the palawa people, and to Elders past, present and emerging.
About Cooperatives and .coop
The global Cooperative community has more than 1 billion members, representing 12% of the world’s employed population. All Cooperatives verify their identity when selecting a .coop web address. Your unique business identity is recognized online with a .coop domain name – your digital brand – a brand known for its economic advantages to its community, consumers, and members.
If you would like your cooperative featured, click on this link to submit your story.
Visit Resource Cooperative on social media: